Screenshot from an excellent and informative article by Bernard Schoenburg at The State Journal-Register
The doors to the Illinois State Museum are not shut today, and–fortunately–they are not set to close until at least August 8th, according to an article yesterday in The State Journal-Register.
When I asked Chris Young, spokesperson at the IL Department of Natural Resources, if there were any updates, he wrote, “There is no specific date set to suspend operations. As we discussed earlier, there is more work remaining to properly store collections, return borrowed items and call back items loaned for research.”
To keep informed on this issue, please check out the following resources:
- Save the Illinois State Museum blog: https://savetheillinoisstatemuseum.wordpress.com (this page has contact details and how you can help: https://savetheillinoisstatemuseum.wordpress.com/2015/06/26/hello-world/)
- Save the Illinois State Museum Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-the-Illinois-State-Museum/917517601639564?fref=nf
- Sign the petition on MoveOn.org: http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/governor-rauner-dont
- Save the Illinois State Museum page on the American Alliance of Museums: http://t.congressweb.com/w/?GILOPWGAPZ
The commission this week set a public hearing on the closure of the Springfield museum for 4 p.m. July 13 in Room 2012 of the Statehouse. Anyone wishing to give oral testimony or submit written testimony can contact the commission at 785-3208 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The email address is the same for submitting public comments.–Bernard Schoenburg, The State Journal-Register
- Illinois State Museum To Remain Open Into August Pending Review by Bernard Schoenburg, The State Journal-Register, June 30, 2015, http://www.sj-r.com/article/20150630/NEWS/150639947
Thank you again to Chris Young at the IL DNR!
Thank you to Samantha Reif, the American Alliance of Museums, those behind any of the “Save the Illinois State Museum” resources (Facebook page, blog), and to all who are working behind the scenes to prevent the closure of these museums!